Sunday 10 March 2013

Music, Limping and Art!

Ok so this is a special one off version of my blog, this week was exhausting, we had a 3 day London study trip, followed by a new process followed by a interesting approach to life drawing. My mind was floored, I was shattered and days just felt like they fell into each other, I didn't even realise it was the weekend before saturday afternoon.

Anyway so quick recap and reflection of the London trip.

Monday: Trip was fine, found a good book and had finished most of it on the way up. Once we arrived and we had sorted out the Hotel etc, we headed to the British Museum. The BM has to be my 2nd favorite place in the city, after The Natural History Museum and a whisker ahead of the Tate Britain. Anyway so we were given a project to find a random exhibit and document what we saw, this was in the same vein as our semester 1 project on natural subjects. I had found a nice little dark corridor with a selection of Jade ornaments and belt buckles where I promptly got into the zone. However since we had gotten to the BM at around 3:30-4 we didn't have a huge amount of time before being kicked out for closing at 5:30. However before we are asked to leave I had made sure to pop into the Egyptian exhibit to see the Rosetta Stone and some of the more ancient statues.

Tuesday: We headed over to The John Soane's Museum and the Hunterian Museum at the Royal Academy of Surgeons. Both were interesting and worthwhile visits. Some of the specimens in the Hunterian were fascinating however as drawing subjects I could not find much drive to document them, in terms of recording history I would rather my subjects not be in Jars. The Soane's Museum was a bit hit or miss for myself, I found the sheer number of objects, while all interesting, slightly over whelming and without the context of their inherent origins I could not get excited. However saying that I can't state enough amazing things about the Piranesi show that is currently there. The work, whilst not technically accurate is wonderful and I am planning on looking into his work more over the coming week.
    In the afternoon, we went further afield and visited the Princes Trust Drawing MA, honestly I have to say that while I understand the benefits (its Free and its based in London, thus surrounded by amazing resources) it was basically the course here in Falmouth and it felt like they were selling us something we already have. Also whilst I was in London I truly missed Falmouth, the slower pace of life in Cornwall suits me perfectly and the hectic madness that is London is not something I think would like for a year. After this we went to see Gemma Andersons Isomorphology exhibt in the Eb & Flow gallery, this was really nice, and Gemma has produced some fantastic work and it was great to see it in its own space. After this I went for a wander which ended up at the embankment, and then after an hour there I headed back towards the British library for our Illustration Q&A and talk. This was really interesting and while was exhausted it was nice to hear some really grounded Illustrators discussing their work.

Wednesday: Ok so by this time I was drained, I mean not a lot left in the tank and we had yet another busy day. The morning was exciting, we got to go to the prints and drawing room in the Courtauld Institute. We saw a massive variety of drawings, from Goya and Van Gogh to Durer. To be this close to work that old by artists that important was just amazing and had I been in a better mental state I would have probably made more of the viewing. After this we went to the Light Show at the Hayward across the river, this was interesting and there were some fascinating uses of the lights, however in all I felt like it was wasted on me.
     The afternoon was much the same, we had the opportunity to the visit the Manet exhibit being held in the Royal Academy, this was interesting however it didn't hold much relevance for myself, however the free show we were able to see as well which was a series of Prints by Sydney Lee was much more of a draw for myself. After this I headed back to Paddington and the trip was done.

Thursday: Ok I will admit that I was doing better on thursday than I had any right to be. The morning was spent drawing to music, and by that I mean we would make marks which we felt represented the music we were listening to. I found that my marks would represent the time of the music as well as any significant changes in pitch or introduction of instrument, this was an interesting project which while I dont think I enjoyed the process enough to carry it on in my personal time I definitely appreciated the relevance to our current development. The Afternoon was spent adapting the themes we had started developing in the morning into a larger system. I am still working on this project and will post some images of it when I finish it.

Friday: The morning was spent having Claire Armitage for Life drawing, we were carrying on the theme of systems and this one was using a variety different marks and layering them as the drawing continued. I found myself enjoying this by the end and am happy with the last couple of drawings I produced. I carried on working with the systems drawing from Thursday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment