Monday 25 February 2013

Process and Systems

New project day, this week we are looking at drawing systems, our seminar today covered the evolution of artists such as : Mondrian, Paul Klee and Kandinsky.

We looked at their process and how they went about abstracting their works, this was really interesting and it must have been rather special having been the first artists to discover this language. Another part that was fascinating was that we all had such different interpretations of what we saw in the same image.

Anyway on to our project, so this week we started by doing some fun exercises involving a more detached approach to our drawings. Our first workshop involved us gathering into groups, then having 1 member of our group be designated the leader, the leader would be in charge of coming up with a formula for the drawing. My formula was quite simple, I would start drawing a line across the page then when the line hits the edge of the page it would reflect back onto the page, the line would reflect off any edge or line it comes across, then after 5 reflections it would be able to cross the line it hits.

After a couple of different variations of the above exercise, we started something else, this was an exercise where we would write various different approaches on pegs, then we would attach the pegs to the page and we would each draw what the nearest peg said to us, we would then turn the page around and then start on the next instruction. This lead to a solo version of the same exercise, of which we produced 2 drawings.

Our final exercise of the day involved the creation of doodles on graph paper, then we had to use these doodles as a simple script to describe people we know, using various methods of description, both visual and personal.

A quick note on last weeks lack of updates after Tuesday, Wednesdays print session was immensely successful and I found myself being more productive than I have been in a long time, in fact I made more prints in that one session than I had in the whole of the last semester. I am loving the process of monotypes and will be exploring this process more and more in the coming months.

Thursday was student ambassador induction day, was great but lead me to miss Peters workshop which was a mild pain as I do enjoy that more technical side of drawing.

Friday was a bit of a write off, we had a more expressive approach to life drawing in the morning which frankly is not what I like about life drawing, I want to improve my skills in observational drawing, not destroy my self confidence which has been so high in recent week, had a bit of a off day on top of that so it was a bit of a dud productivity wise.

Photos tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment