Tuesday 12 February 2013

New Semester = New Problems

So after a bit of a break (3 weeks of assessments YAY!) Its back to normal in the studio, with 1 big difference, NEW SEMESTER! and with it new themes, new projects and new problems to contend with.

Ok this semesters core theme is a rather large step away from last semester. Referred to as the Inner World, we are looking at more at the subconscious and more abstract methods of drawing.

 After yesterdays studio time I was too knackered to do update this blog, so tonight will be a double whammy of Yesterday and Today. 

Monday :

Seminar was really interesting, looking at artists like Henry Fuseli, Victor Hugo, Odilon Redon and Max Ernst. 

Couple of good quotes : 

Redon; My drawings inspire, and are not to be defined. They place us, as does music, in the ambiguous realm of the undetermined.

Nothing in art is achieved by the will alone, Everything is done by docilely submitting to the arrival of the unconscious. 

Max Ernst; Drawing is not for me either decorative amusement, or the plastic inventions of felt reality, it must be every time, invention, discovery, innovation.

-

Our project was to produce a Gestalt drawing. This process was interesting, challenging, infuriating but overall hugely enjoyable. I started off quite positively, covering the paper with a variety of marks and lines. The process of bringing an image out of the mass of graphite was both mentally and physically tiring, constant working with the rubber and graphite stick, stepping back looking at the sheet, walking round the sheet, turning it any which way, all trying to see what is already on the page and bring it into focus.

I still haven't finished it, however I must say I am happy with the direction its heading in. It is a strange feeling, not having any true control over the drawing. I generally don't like the term "You don't lead the drawing, it leads you", however it is rather apt for this.

Anyway, looking back this is something I could definitely see myself doing in the future.

-

Tuesday :

Today we did another Gestalt drawing, however this was a varient of the process we did yesterday, it included frottage and collage. I can't be too critical of the process as this morning as I wasn't feeling 100% psychologically. However I must say I didn't find it hugely exciting. The process was a bit fiddly for me, I would rather get on with it rather than have the feeling of jumping through hoops. Anyway maybe I will give it another go when I'm feeling more upbeat.

This afternoon was a slight change of pace, we took part in a game of consequences or an exquisite corpse drawing however you want to put it. It was a really fun experience and the outcomes were varied and brilliant. Its amazing how each of us approached it, all our differing styles and thought processes. 

Still in a crisis regarding my personal projects, however I'll have a chat with some people and see where I stand.



No comments:

Post a Comment